Dr. Souza grew up in a small dairy farm in Goias state, Brazil. He completed his BS in Animal Science at the Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro in 2013. During his undergraduate program, he was involved in research and teaching activities, which led him to pursue a master's degree in Animal Science at Sao Paulo State University in 2014, where he focused on mineral nutrition of feedlot beef cattle. During his master's he was visiting scholar at The University of Queensland-Australia in 2015, where he followed studies on phosphorus metabolism in ruminants. In his Ph.D., he studied the urea recycling and amino acid utilization in feedlot beef cattle. In 2019, He was visiting scholar at the Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences at Virginia Tech where he performed a study on precision feeding in lactating dairy cows. In April 2020, Dr. Souza joined the Department of Dairy Science as Adjunct Faculty.
Dr. Souza's interests range from fundamental studies of the regulation of metabolism to the practical application of nutritional knowledge to animal production systems and include protein and amino acid metabolism in cattle, mineral metabolism in ruminants, and nutritional strategies to reduce environmental impacts of ruminants.
An updated listing of publications is available at:
- OITICICA, I.N.; FONSECA, C.E.M; LOPES, F.C.F; MORENZ, M.J.F; GAMA, M. A.S.; SOUZA, V.C.; SILVA, A.B. Milk fatty acid composition of dairy goats fed increasing levels of Flemingia macrophylla hay. Semina. Ciências Agrárias (online), v. 40, p. 293-310, 2019. Doi: 10.5433/1679-0359.2019v40n1p293
- ARAUJO FILHO, H.J.; MALAFAIA, P.; CARVALHO, C.A.B.; GARCIA, F.Z.; SOUZA, V.C.; FERREIRA, R. L.; RISSO, T.L. Avaliação econômica da terminação de bovinos de corte a pasto, semiconfinados ou em confinamento com dieta de alto grão. Custos e Agronegocio On Line, v.15, p.374-401, 2019.
- ROCHA, J.F.; DAOUALIBI, Y.; LORENZO, C.; PIRES, A.P.C.; BRITO, M. F.; SOUZA, V.C.; MALAFAIA, P.; UBIALI, D.G. Emphysematous and Granulomatous Submucosal Rumenitis in a Feedlot Nellore Steer. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae (online), v.46, p. 1-5, 2018.
- MALAFAIA, P.; GARCIA, F. Z.; LOPES, SAMARA P.; SOUZA, V.C.; CANELLA FILHO, C.F.; COSTA, D.F.A.; VEIGA, C.C. Evaluation of an inexpensive needle test for the diagnosis of phosphorus deficiency and management of phosphorus supplementation for cattle: A multiple case study. Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, v.90, p. 3337-3352, 2018.
- SOUZA, V.C.; MALAFAIA, P.; GRANJA-SALCEDO, Y.T.; VIEIRA, B.R.; GOMES, R.S.; COSTA, D.F.A.; NEGRÃO, J.A.; SHIMANO, A.C.; BERCHIELLI, T.T. Effects of phosphorus supplementation in high-grain diets on blood, chemical and physical parameters of bones of feedlot Nellore bulls. Animal Production Science, v.58, p.1814-1821, 2017. Doi: 10.1071/AN17003.
- GRANJA-SALCEDO, YURY T.; MESSANA, JULIANA D.; SOUZA, V.C.; DIAS, A.V.L.; KISHI, L.T.; REBELO, L.R.; BERCHIELLI, TELMA T. Effects of partial replacement of maize in the diet with crude glycerin and/or soyabean oil on ruminal fermentation and microbial population in Nellore steers. British Journal of Nutrition, v.118, p.651-660, 2017. doi:10.1017/S0007114517002689.
- GRANJA-SALCEDO, YURY T.; SOUZA, V. C.; INSUASTI, A.S.G.; DIAS, A.V.L.; MESSANA, JULIANA D.; BERCHIELLI, TELMA T. Diet containing glycerine and soybean oil can reduce ruminal biohydrogenation in Nellore steers. Animal Feed Science and Technology, v.225, p.195-204, 2017.
- LOPES. S.P; GARCIA, F.Z.; SOUZA, V.C.; COSTA, D.F.A; MALAFAIA, P. Bio-economic evaluation.
- MALAFAIA, P.; GRANJA-SALCEDO, YURY T.; USCATEGUI, R.A.R.; SOUZA, V. C.; COSTA, D.F.; BERCHIELLI, T.T. A simple and fast sampling method for chemical analyses and densitometry of bones through rib biopsies in cattle. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research, v.37, p.31-35, 2017.
- SOUZA, V.C.; MALAFAIA, P.; VIEIRA, B.R.; GRANJA-SALCEDO, Y.T.; BERCHIELLI, T. T. Phosphorus supplementation with or without other minerals, ionophore and antibiotic did not affect performance of Nellore bulls receiving high-grain diets, but increased phosphorus excretion and dietary costs. Animal Production Science, v. 58, p. 871-877, 2016. Doi: 10.1071/AN16420.
- COSTA, R.M.; PONSANO, E.H.G.; SOUZA, V.C.; MALAFAIA, P. Reduction of phosphorus concentration in mineral supplement on fertility rate, maternal ability and costs of beef cows reared in pastures of Urochloa decumbens. Tropical Animal Health and Production, v. 48, p. 417-422, 2016.
- MALAFAIA, P.; GRANATO, T.A.L.; COSTA, R.; SOUZA, V.C.; COSTA, DIOGO F. A.; TOKARNIA, C.H. Major health problems and their economic impact on beef cattle under two different feedlot systems in Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research, v. 36, p. 837-843, 2016.
- OITICICA, I.N.; FONSECA, C.E.M.; SOUZA, V.C.; SILVA, A.B.; LOPES, F.C.F.; MORENZ, M.J.F. Flemingia macrophylla in goat feeding. Brazilian Journal of Animal Science, v. 44, p. 335-341, 2015.
- FAGUNDES, G.; MODESTO, E.C.; SOUZA, V.C. Odd and branched-chain fatty acids in milk. Revista de Ciências da Vida, v. 32, p. 23-33, 2012.
Book Chapter Published
- FAGUNDES, G.; MODESTO, E. C.; SALDANHA, T.; FONSECA, C.E.M. ; MUIR, J. P.; VICENTE, J.; SOUZA, V.C.; SILVA, A.B.; SILVA, R.M. ; SILVA, J.B. ; BUENO, I.C. S. Effecy of Flavonoid Compounds from Flemingia macrophylla on Milk Composition of Lactating Goat in the Tropics. Tannins: Biochemistry, Food Sources and Nutritional Properties. 1ed.New York: Nova Publishers, 2016.
DASC 4274 Dairy Ration Formulation
DASC 4476 Dairy Enterprise Management
Prize awarded by the Brazilian Society of Animal Science by the authorship of the best master's dissertation in Animal Science defended in Brazil in 2016.
Dr. Vinicius SouzaInstructor
Department of Dairy Science
3290 Litton-Reaves Hall
175 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Areas of Expertise
Amino acid utilization in beef and dairy cattle
Urea recycling in beef and dairy cattle
Mineral metabolism in beef cattle
Nutritional Strategies to Reduce Environmental Impacts of beef and dairy cattle